The Queen s Head Inn…
The Queen s Head Inn used to stand on 82 bridge street. The building is now occupied by a TV and Video Repair shop. The most iconic feature associated with the former Inn was the sign- The wooden arch used span bridge street. It is now protected and is listed as a grade 2 listed property. Well worth a look if your passing by!
All around the world…
The Green Plaques…
You may or may not have noticed when walking past some of the historic buildings in Downham, some small green plaques. There are four of these plaques in Downham Market, adding to the 7918 located all around the world, and they are all a part of the Open Plaques project. Open Plaques is a community-based endeavour that aims to document and promote the locations of the plaques as well as explain who is commemorated on the plaques and why.
For more information about the plaques in Downham Market or any of the ones situated around the world visit the open plaques website: www.openplaques.org
The Swan Hotel…
The Swan Hotel is located in the centre of the town, with a lovely view of the town clock. The reason that the swan hotel has been awarded a Green plaque is because, as well as it being a interesting building, it was reported that King John stayed here in 1216 and King Charles I rested here in 1646 after the defeat at Naseby.
Now converted into a Bed and Breakfast Dial house has had quite a history. The building has been dated back to to the late 18th century, and has now a grade 2 listed property. In the 1820s the buildings was used as a Maltster, the owner of this business is unknown owner, but is thought to be run by either Joseph Cutforth Hill if John Miller. Later in its life dial house converted into a school for young gentlemen run by the Mumford sisters from 1863 to 1672. Then in 1874 it reverted back to its former use as a malting house, but this time run by T.H.Wenn.
Green Plaques in Downham…
The Salvation Army Citadel…
The building was originally built to be a meeting house for the quakers in 1701. It was converted to become a library for 50 years till eventually it got changed to its use as chapel.
Horatio Nelson was born in the norfolk town of burnham Thorpe. He later came to downham to complete some of his education. This is Nelson house, it is the actual school house he attended.