The community portal site for Downham Market since 2007

Downham Market Train Station History

The Downham Market Railway Station

  The Downham Market Railway Station was built under the Lynn and Ely Railway in 1846 and served the 3000 people who lived in the small market town. Small improvements were made in the following years including the addition of sidings in 1903 and the extention of the platform in  1911.    The station remained almost unchanged until the 1960’s, when the water tower was removed and a goods shed was built at the south end of the station. The wheel operated gates that were installed in 1937 were later replaced in 1975 with lifting barriers.   The station was known only as ‘Downham’ up until the 1980’s when it was changed to ‘Downham Market’ at the request of the council. The stations pedestrian crossing was removed in 2011 after it was deemed ‘unsafe’ by the Downham Market council. Plans were put forward to replace it with a footbridge, but the initial application was withdrawn by the local council.    The station is still in use today and is now a Grade 2 listed building. It currently houses The Railway Arms, a small pub that sells a variety of food and drink on a regular basis. 

For information on booking tickets, visit the First Capital Connect service website.



Unlike the other ‘local’ papers which are owned by big businesses, downhamweb has always been owned and run by local people in Downham Market. Our reporting will always be free without paywalls, independent from advertisers and run for the benefit of the community. 

Please consider supporting downhamweb to help us to keep providing this service to the community. If you can, please donate or set up a monthly contribution.