Small improvements were made in the following years including the addition of sidings in 1903 and the extention of the platform in 1911.
The station remained almost unchanged until the 1960’s, when the water tower was removed and a goods shed was built at the south end of the station. The wheel operated gates that were installed in 1937 were later replaced in 1975 with lifting barriers.
The station was known only as ‘Downham’ up until the 1980’s when it was changed to ‘Downham Market’ at the request of the council. The stations pedestrian crossing was removed in 2011 after it was deemed ‘unsafe’ by the Downham Market council. Plans were put forward to replace it with a footbridge, but the initial application was withdrawn by the local council.
The station is still in use today and is now a Grade 2 listed building.
For information on booking tickets, visit the First Capital Connect service website.